This feel-good salad with two of my favorite things, lentils and sweet potatoes, partnered with heirloom peppers and sundried tomatoes to create a dish that’s filling, healthy and delicious. By providing both high fiber and protein, the lentils make this salad filling enough to be a meal by itself or a side dish with your favourite grilled chicken or salmon.
- Rinse beluga lentils under running water. Drain and place them in a medium saucepan. Add the water and bring it to a simmer over medium-high heat. Continue to cook them over low heat, stirring occasionally and adding liquid if necessary, until the lentils are tender but not mushy, 25-30 minutes.
- While lentils cook, preheat oven to 200C/400F. Toss the sweet potato slices with 1 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange them in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Toss padrón peppers with 1 tablespoon of olive oil until completely combined. Roast at 200C/400F for 10-15 minutes until the pepper skins start to blister and brown. Sprinkle them with a little sea salt.
- To prepare the salad dressing, combine all of the ingredients and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Drain lentils and place them in a large bowl. Add in sliced dried tomatoes, cherry radishes and chopped chives. Pour in half of the dressing and toss until combined.
- Arrange lollo bianco in two salad bowls or one large platter, then top with roasted sweet potatoes, beluga lentils and padrón peppers atop. Serve with the rest of dressing.